Saturday, January 10, 2009

Quarks

Today I had the opportunity to spend some time at a baby shower and a birthday party and I started noticing the family dynamic between all my friends and their children and the sweetness they shared. I know that each one of our families are so different but we all share the same goal of raising happy, well balanced, spiritual kids. On the way home I was thinking about tradition and its not just jammies on Christmas Eve and turkey on Thanksgiving; there are things we intertwine into our daily lives that make us Nelson's or Swearingens (my maiden name) or whomever we are and become. Here are a few of the odd things that we, namely me, do that make us. us.
Jax makes homemade waffles every Sunday morning
No soda unless its at a restaurant or birthday party
Cereal Saturdays and warm (real) breakfasts every other day
Sitting prayers-Ive had many knee surgeries and so we sit. I know we should change it but that's how we do it. AT LEAST WE ARE PRAYING!!
You can blow as many bubbles as you want as long as its in Choc. milk only
We 'huggle' its an extended hug and its free and never warrants a reason
We have 'vegan day' two days a week, only non processed vegan food all day!
We read scriptures at night and we re-explain in TV format for Korbin to understand
I love you is meaningful and serious and if you say it you should mean it. The kids are not welcome to 'love' things. He is more than welcome to like them but loving a TV show is absurd.
Our bodies are one of the only things we carry with us our whole life. We are nice to it and Korbin 'hydrates' so he can keep up with himself. Its funny to hear him ask for water so he can 'hydrate'!
Most everything in life is negotiable so if the kids or one of us has decided we need to change something we as a family decide if we are convinced enough to change things. Korbin made a great case for his room now he has a tent in there 24/7 and moves his bed any which way wants it that week.
I'm a lip kisser. Kiss on the mouth. Sorry don't want to mess up my lipstick. (Jax is not-don't worry)
T.V. is not a friend it is something to kill time and isn't a babysitter.
Sitting down and being lazy is sinful. (my OCD kicking in) There is a difference between alone time and laziness. Read, color, play a game, write in a journal etc. but sitting and watching me work just puts me in a bad mood.
Alone (down) time is necessary for everyone. Its helps you- like you -when you are the only one to impress. Alone time is manditory and we have a little everyday. Even Allie.

1 comment:

jaesi said...

I like this idea of exposing the crazy unknown :)...I may have to steal it...
please come and cook real breakfast at my house...and be the babysitter so the tv can have a break.....