Thursday, December 18, 2008

I am a child of God.




Tonight as I was laying my son to sleep we cuddled for a few moments and of course I started to sing him to sleep. I am not a musical person and I can NOT hold a note to save my life but I always sing to my kids anyways. On top of my lacking musical ability I only know a select few songs and most of them are something like Beyonce and Areosmith. ('I don't want to miss a thing' is a song for children) But after hearing my darling friend Shama Bartlett sing primary songs to her kids I have been trying to step up the spiritual song department. So, on to tonight... I sing my usual 'The Rose' Bette Midler, 'What if God were one of us' Jan Arden, 'I want to come over' Mellisa Ethridge and of course 'At last' Etta James and You are my sunshine. After my mix of amazing ballads I start to sing 'I am a child of God' by I don't know-God maybe? And in one of the most beautiful moments of my life Korbin starts to sing with me. Word for word. Now, I know this may not seem like a big deal to you super amazing mothers out there but we are active parents with things like sledding down a hill blindfolded and backwards. I never expect Korbin to SING with me. It is amazing he sort-of sings in Primary at all. I would like to credit Danae West for helping him 'like' song time and to other mothers whom might be singing church songs while he is playing at your homes because here we are tone deaf. I could go on and on about how much hearing that sweet small voice sing those words meant to me. Perhaps he will turn out pretty good after all. I often think that we are supposed to be listening for 'THE still small voice' but maybe we are sometimes supposed to be listening to the 'crazy, usually loud small voice' to help us stop and smell the roses or in the case of today to stop and play in the snow. I am a child of God. My child is a child of God. I am so grateful he gave me my own angel (I can say this because he is asleep=))

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh Brittney I just love you! You are a wonderful mother. It's obvious how much you love your kids. And I love your sense of humor!

Shama said...

You don't give yourself enough credit for your singing voice. It is lovely so keep singing. :)

Durben Family said...

That's awesome...Max has figured out a fun way to skirt his reading time...he pulls out the Children's Hymn book and asks if he can sing for reading time....how on earth could I ever say "No".......cute little stinkers.