Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lucky...

Last night a very scary thing happened to our Miss. Allie. As we were brushing teeth with the kids Jaxon turned from the counter where Allie was sitting to grab her PJs from me. All the sudden we hear a loud crash and Korbin yell 'It wasn't me' or something to that effect, and the next thing I hear is Jaxon in his 'emergency voice' say Holy Crap and I go into the bathroom to see Jaxon swooping up Allie and blood from the floor, up the cabinets to the sink where he has her trying to quit choking on her own blood. She had fallen face first on her toothbrush and gouged the back-side of her mouth. Jaxon always says I overreact (never) but in his deep 'emergency voice' he tells me to get ready to go the ER. NOW.
For the first (and only) time in Korbin's life he did exactly what he was told. Get your clothes on, get in the car, put on your seat belt and be quiet. He did just that. In about a total of one minute we were out the door. Allie has soaked through her shirt, the hand towel and Jaxons workout clothes. I take her out to the car in nothing but a diaper and her Jammie pants and we buckle her in while Jaxon turns around in the front seat trying to soak up the rest of the blood. At this point we have the blood pretty much under control but her cheek has swollen up to the size of a small apple (thats really big considering she's only 30 lbs.)
My wonderful girlfriend Amy calls the hospital for us to tell them we are coming. I throw on the emergency's and tear out of our neighborhood. *Note-To anyone who lives in GA. If you are dying you had better pray because NOT one single person moved when I rode them with my emergency's on. I layed on my horn and after about two times they finally looked in the mirror and moved-but not without flipping me off first. Nice huh?
We get in the ER and even though we only waited for 4-5 minutes it felt like an eternity with a bloody baby in my arms. It was such a relief to have Jaxon there (he's never been to one of our kids ER visits before due to the Navy) and he is so comforting to her. She trusts her daddy 100%.
When she was seen by the Doctor the blood had mostly stopped but she kept trying to swallow real hard and we though she was just swallowing her blood. She was a 'hair' away from the big artery in the back of your throat (honest-I didn't know there was one back there) and he said she was so lucky because if she had hit it she could have bled out by now. Those words while your holding your alive child makes so grateful for the minor injury that your there for.
He said it was more risk to put her under and stitch the inside of her mouth up than to live in hell for a week with her eating soft foods (like baby food) and not going anywhere that she may bump her large swollen cheek. When every thing was said and done she left with a Popsicle and a bunch of Motrin.
We now have a lifetime supply of Popsicles in our freezer. Of which, she hasn't touched till 30 minutes ago.
Last night she was up at three and screaming mostly all day but the swelling has gone down and she's finally drank some juice. Her cheek was so swollen she couldn't form a shape with her lips and it would just pour down the front of her thus making her wig out more. Today was so long and I'm exhausted but it is so much better than something else I would be doing today if she hadn't been so lucky...

5 comments:

Chris & Jamie said...

That is so scary! I am so glad that Miss Allie is o.k. Hang in there this week, sounds like it'll be a long one!

Chelsea said...

How sad! I hope she recuperates quickly. At least it'll be a cool story to tell her friends when she gets older! I'm sure everything will turn out fine!

Perkins Family said...

Thanks for sharing with us. I was telling Matt how I think all parents put their children on the sink to brush their teeth. We do it every night with Evan. Something like that happening has never crossed my mind. Glad to know that she is okay! Let me know if I can help in any way. Maybe I could come and cuddle with her while you take a nap or something. Which if she is anything like my children all they want is their mommy.

Philip and Jaime Connor said...

I'm so glad that she is OK! Love you guys!

Shama said...

Seriously these little moments make you realize how precious and precarious life is. How blessed we are. Hug that little lady. Kiss your little Korbin, and we will all send a prayer heavenward that she is okay.