Monday, March 23, 2009

HELL IS a little FROZEN OVER.








Last weekend our family went to Jaxons parents house who have a wonderland of things I've never been exposed to until I married into them. They live on a few acres in Vancouver Washington and have created a super awesome outdoor classroom for my kids just by doing what they've done for decades. They have a HUGE garden (of which we reap the benefits much more than we help!) they have a most amazing deck that we can sit in the hot tub at night and soak my (well Jaxon's) sore muscles. They also have a barn and a chicken coop.
If anyone knows me now or even worse; knew me growing up I HATE being icky. I don't mind hard work. I don't mind sweat- but I very much mind being dirty or even coming close to a animal if it doesn't have a weekly trip to the groomers. So, I would like to think that after almost six years of marriage to my Jaxon I have loosened up a tiny bit. I still don't like to be icky but now if I'm prepared for it...Ill do fine. I wear grungy clothes to their house and always put on work boots when I go out in the yard.
Enough of that....
What we did this weekend was get some baby layers (small just hatched chicks that we wont be killing-thus the name 'layers') Mom ordered a dozen but they were still cozy in their shells so we bought five more so that Korbin and Miss. Allie could still be involved and see the babies. Now we make it clear from the start that these are a food source but when they are this cute its hard not to cuddle them and name them and be in the barn all day. (they are in the barn- not the chicken coop because we have warm lights and baby food so they stay happy) SO WE DID! The one Korbin's holding is named 'Blue Yoda' because he will grow up to either lay blue eggs or have blue feathers- I don't remember!! Mine is going to be this darling black and silver specked bird so I named him (her- if its a layer its a 'lady') Armani. We had a really nice time there learning about things I would never be able to teach my children about. Its a whole different world than I know. We love going there. Next time we see those chicks they will be full grown (about 8 weeks) and might be laying us yummy eggs!!!

1 comment:

~B~ said...

That's very cute! I can't wait until Allison can start playing with things and we can teach her all about animals and colors. And the first trip to the zoo! There's so much to look forward to!